If the current power consumption of the world and the rate at which we are using up our resources seem to worry you, this can help alleviate your concern to a large extent. What we are about to tell you are five steps to get yourself a solar rooftop system and convert this universal resource into usable power – lighting up your own home.
Installing a solar rooftop system not only helps power up your own home, depending on the size and capacity of the system, you can also work out a deal with the local utility to supply surplus power into the regional grid and get significant savings in your regular utility bills.
Here is what you should do:
- Get your home/ office building assessed – Book an appointment with an expert to visit your home. Based on a number of parameters such as the area of the rooftop, the surrounding area, and trees, the sunlight available and the return on investment period, the expert can determine whether a solar rooftop system is feasible and recommended in your particular case.
- Design a solution and understand the costs involved – after a careful analysis of the site and a number of factors like the usage pattern, the kind of equipment used, type of system to be used, the designers will propose a solution that fits your requirement, budgets and potential savings and the type (off grid, hybrid and on grid) of the system. If you approve the solution and the estimated costs, the next steps of relevant approvals and installation will follow.
- Approvals and Installation – as the solution is finalized, it needs to get the relevant approvals from the clean energy commission and the local authorities, depending on the state in which you reside. Once the required approvals are done, the experts come in with the right material and equipment to get the system installed.
- Get the system inspected and certified for performance – A competent authority from the local utility distributor does a thorough inspection of the design as well as the installation to ensure the system uses the right quantity and quality of material and is installed correctly.
- Start Using it – Once a certificate is provided, the system can start operating as per the design and over a period of time start showing the returns on the investment.
Depending on the system you chose, surplus power can even be returned to the regional grid. Imagine all the power saving you do by making use of the electricity generated by your own roof-top solar panel system, it will only result in savings in the electric utility bills and relevant savings by supplying power into the grid.
And of course, you can pat your own back for taking the right decision of using a renewable source of energy and maybe do your bit to combat climate change!